Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Ranch Animals (Part 5)



Folks, I'm really dreading saying this. *Inhales deeply....* I reckon I'll have ta slow down to posting somethin' once a week. Or a LEAST fer the summer. *...... And blows out breath*


 This weeks post is 'bout the chickens. See that thing in the picture below? We call them "chicken tractors". Every year we git a hundred butcher chicks, raise 'em up in the summer and butcher them in the fall. We keep 'bout twenty-five in each tractor.

















The layin' hens are my job. Ever since I was five years old (stories get stretched....) they've been my job. We used ta have a fence 'round our garden, but fer some reason that I don't remember we took it down.




Mama didn't like my hens scratching up her cucumbers so we ha to put them In a tractor just like the other chickens.














This is my prize Banty rooster, Oliver. He's two thirds the size o' the laying hens! Boy, he sure do think he's he's somethin', strutin' around the lawn. I call him "King of the yard".





This hen is fixin' to lay an egg in the makeshift nest.







Here






















3 comments:

  1. That's a really cool rooster! I enjoy reading your blog! Miss you!
    ~Alice~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I miss you too! I haven't even seen Reba yet, so I would really like to go to your guys' house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you guys have to come see us soon! ~Alice~

    ReplyDelete

my favorite things tag

Howdeeeee guys! ;) how is everyone?? Lots of stuff has been going on around here that I should rly tell y’all abt in another photo dump. But...